Saturday, July 14, 2012

Absence

Okay, I screwed up.  I wrote the inaugural post quite some time ago and had every intention of updating the blog once a week.

You can see how well that turned out.  Oh well.  F it.

Alright, my plan was to use this blog as a way to interact with people who read my stuff, whether they like it or hate it, as well as providing an insight into the writing process.  For fellow writers, it may prove helpful to see how someone else does it, maybe to help them past an obstacle they're up against, or to give them an idea on how to....outline, for example.  For non writers, I would think this look into how a writer gets the ideas and struggles with putting words to page would be a fun look behind the curtain.

So, what have I been doing these last 5 or 6 months?

Not too much, unfortunately.   But that's changing.  I've picked up momentum with the follow up to The Uninvited (available on Amazon as an ebook right now).

Some writes will tell you that they have no problems coming up with ideas....that they have ideas falling out of their pockets constantly.  I have ideas, but....well....let me give you the background.

When I wrote and finished the early drafts of The Uninvited, I was married.  That marriage was going down the drain slowly despite my best efforts to keep it afloat.  Now, for the sake of some privacy I won't go into details.  Suffice it to say, it's hard to stay married to someone who doesn't love you anymore.

So....when the divorce happened, as you can imagine, things were really emotional for a long time.  Many people would take that emotion and pour it into their work.  I'm not one of those people.  I couldn't find the motivation to work on anything new, much less edit and revise previous manuscripts.  The well ran dry, as they say.

After a while, when the wounds had healed somewhat, I started looking back at The Uninvited.  I decided that I would do what I could to put it out there.  I'll do another post about my decision to self publish rather than pursue the traditional route, promise.

However new story ideas still weren't coming to me.  Once the book was out, I started thinking about what would be next.  I had rough notes on a few books, so as unromantic as it sounds, I just picked one.  I tossed it around in my head for several days like a rock in a rock polisher (do they even still make those?) and eventually decided it wasn't pulling my attention.  So I grabbed another, loaded it up in the ole noodle and gave it a whirl.

Finally I found one that sounded and felt pretty good.  It took me almost 6 months to find it, but it's here now.  And I think it's pretty good.  It's going to be hard as hell to do, but I think it can be done.

I'll tell you more about it next time.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment